in the spirit of easter and the beautiful spring weather, i decided to whip up some sugar cookies this weekend.
as i mentioned here, i had some work commitments this weekend in the city, which meant i had limited time to spend with my family. luckily i had friday free, so i took a short road trip out of the city to spend the day with my nearest and dearest.
since i didn’t want to show up at my grandparents empty handed, i decided these sugar cookies would be the perfect treat to bring. the night before i left, i quickly made the dough and refrigerated it overnight. when i woke up in the morning, i took the dough out of the fridge and baked the cookies. once the cookies were baked and cooled, i packed myself up and headed out of town for the day. since i would be hanging out with my sister and cousin for the day, i decided to wait to decorate the cookies with them.
these cookies are super easy to make, don’t take too long, and decorating them is a hilariously fun activity to do with friends.
dough ingredients (makes 3 dozen):
-3 cups all-purpose flour
-3/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 cup unsalted butter, softened
-1 cup sugar
-1 egg, beaten
-1 tablespoon milk
-powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
- sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. set aside.
- place butter and sugar in large bowl and beat with electric mixer until light in colour. add egg and beat to combine.
- on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from side of bowl.
- wrap dough in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- preheat oven to 375.
- sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar. remove dough from fridge and sprinkle pin with powdered sugar. roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- cut into desired shapes and place 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet. bake for 7-9 minutes.
- remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removal from oven and move to complete cooling on wire rack.
^^getting the surface ready to roll out the dough.
^^cut out and ready to be baked.
-4 cups powdered sugar
-3 tbsp meringue powder
-5 tbsp of warm water
- sift together powdered sugar and meringue powder.
- add water as you stir to create a mixture with the consistency similar to toothpaste.
- divide mixture into 4 and add one drop of food colouring to each and stir.
- place coloured icing into pastry bags, squirt bottles, or ziploc bags (depending on your personal preference).
- outline each cookie with icing, then fill in the rest.
- let dry and ENJOY!
^^fill ziploc bag with icing sugar and cut a teeny hole in the corner.
^^getting out the decorations.
^^the final product! yum!!
even though i wish i could have spent more time with my family this weekend, i’m grateful for all the fun memories and laughs i snuck in with my family and friends this weekend!
happy monday everyone!!
“the only real stumbling block is fear of failure. in cooking you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude.” -julia child